2.21.2012

Lazy girl dog treats

You know what screams LOOK AT ME, I'M LITTLE MISS DOMESTICATED?
Homemade dog treats.
C'mon, your first thought is who has time to do that.

Me. That's who!

A few weekends ago my mom and I decided we were tired of buying the ridiculously priced dog treats from the store & took it upon ourselves to make our own. The thing is, they're super simple. We even got all cutesy and used a heart shaped cookie cutter since it was lovey-dovey February



Lazy Girl Dog Treats

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness. (We used mom's Kitchenaid, with the dough hook)

Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes, or simply cut into squares/rectangles. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

[recipe based on this one]

These got the tail-wag of approval from Russell, Spencer, Bella, Abby and Darby (hey, we like to share!)
Photobucket

14 comments:

Caroline said...

Knox loves anything with peanut butter!

Carolyn said...

Cute!!! I might have to try these out! :)D

Ashley said...

That does sound simple! Does it make a big batch? I wonder how long they last for? I also wonder if I could switch the peanut butter for cheesewhiz! lol my dogs are getting sick of peanut butter treats!

Kenj said...

I've always wanted to make home-made dog biscuts...I may have to try this!!

Daniela said...

great idea!!

Kristen Danielle said...

Bookmarking this to make soon! :) Thanks for sharing!

KRISTIN said...

I am pinning this! Bailey would LOVE some special treats!

undomestic mama said...

LOVE this. I like that you can actually tell what you're giving your dog (mine's high-allergy so we have to be careful.)

Fash Boulevard said...

omg. so cute. love this. fabulous post, love. thanks for sharing. if you get a sec, I'd love to hear what you think of my Shoemint photo shoot. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Marian said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe...but Trot would love you even more if you sent some his way;) His mom isn't as domesticated;)

K-9Lover said...

Thank you for the recipe! Very easy and simple to make which is great for me since this is the first time I have made dog treats. My foster dogs love them, and I will be making treats for them instead of buying some from now on.

jbai733 said...

My little Shih Tsu is a bit of little piggy. I might make bars and then break them up. Great recipe and she loves peanut butter!

jbai733 said...

My little Shih Tsu is a bit of little piggy. I might make bars and then break them up. Great recipe and she loves peanut butter!

Jerimiah thomas said...

All test reveal that the cause isn't bacterial or parasitic. To know more about deer antler dog chew, visit this site right here.